Saturday, January 31, 2009

This really sums it all up.....

I got tagged on facebook to do this music thing, where you go to your music player, put on shuffle, and hit play - then you write down the first 25 that come up. I am bored, so I did it - and I didn't cheat, I only skipped Christmas songs, Comedian Skits, Audio Book Chapters....and, LL Cool Jay's "Doin' It" which, I guess I just defeated the purpose of skipping that last one. So here it goes, if you really look at this, I think it says a lot about my absolutely scatterbrained, all over the place state of being:

1. Marcy Playground - Sex & Candy
2. Blink 182- Toast and Bananas
3. The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby
4. Wallflowers - Ashes to Ashes
5. Neil Young - Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
6. Ray Charles - Sinner's Prayer
7. Bruce Springsteen - Highway Patrolman
8. Pure Prairie League - Pickin' to Beat the Devil
9. Yo -Yo - Ma - V. Bourree
10. Tom Petty - You Wreck Me
11. Gillian Wench, Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris - Didn't Leave Nobody But the Baby (O Brother Where Art Thou?)
12. Roy Orbison - Crying, (over you)
13. Akon Ft. Eminem - Smack That (man that's classy)
14. Ella Fitzgerald & Bobby Darin - Mack the Knife
15. TLC - Waterfalls
16. Sublime - Smoke Two Joints
17. Janis Joplin - Me & Bobby McGee
18. Beastie Boys - An Open Letter to NYC
19. Justin Timberlake - Sexyback
20. Jimi Hendrix - Stages 67: Live At Stockholm "The Wind Cries Mary"
21. Tom Rush - A Child's Song
22. The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
23. Frank Zappa & The Mother's of Invention - Harry, You're a Beast
24. Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran
25. Henry Mancini - Moon River

I'm looking at this, thinking, if I didn't know this person - what would I assume from this glimpse at their music? I'd think...hmm, there's a lot of retro folk/classic rock influences here....Janis, Tom Rush, Roy Orbison, Zappa, Beatles....this person probably grew up in the 60's? But....TLC WaterFalls? The Cure? Marcy Playground? Duran Duran? Did they have an identity crisis sometime in the mid to early 90's?!

Well, I guess with 25 gigs of music I'm bound to have some whacked out stuff on there, but...this is pretty nice eclectic sampling of the whole thing. The reality is, I always have had a love for older music. The Beatles being my main love, and branching backwards and forwards from there (explaining Zappa, Orbison, Janis, Rush, Neil Youn). The 80's hold a special place in my heart, I guess cause it's what I remember my parents listening to as a kid...Duran Duran, The Cure....there's way more in my library than I'd admit to :)

The rest I guess is a sampling of stuff I listened to in high school. I got nostalgic last year and downloaded, er, purchased from iTunes a whole bunch of stuff from the 90's, the high school years.....Sex & Candy, Beastie Boys, Wall Flowers, TLC (ugh!)

I guess Mack the Knife, Moon River, Cryin & Sinners Prayer don't make much sense at all, the first two songs were stuff I played in Orchestra, Cryin reminds me of my great grandparents music, and....the last, well, honestly I'm not big on old Ray Charles, somebody gave me that CD though & it's decent

Who knows. I guess I love it all, and in not so many words, it really sums things up. I wonder what Freud would think.

3 comments:

  1. You got me curious, so I tried it - do you HAVE to be tagged first?

    I'll post the results in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posted.

    No real surprises in there. Well, maybe there is.

    Make sure you vote in my new poll. The future of the nation depends on the results.

    ReplyDelete